Google My Business is a free and easy-to-use tool for businesses and organizations to manage their online presence across Google, including Search and Maps. If you verify and edit your business information, you can both help customers find your business and provide them with helpful information like hours of operation and key services for example if you are a restaurant, whether you offer Dine-In, Takeout and Delivery.
What is Google My Business
- Google My Business (GMB) is where a local business can have a search or Maps listing in Google.
- GMB results show in regular searches below the ads. The example to the right is called the “map pack.”
- Searches from mobile versus desktop are usually similar but not exactly the same.
- GMB results also show specifically in Maps searches.
- GMB can show as a Knowledge Panel result also.
- The Knowledge Panel only shows on desktop.
- The panel and is slowly being phased out in favor of a more uniform desktop and mobile search experience.
How does Google My Business work
- A business will have a listing with either a physical address OR a service area.
- Several factors determine if a business will show in results. These include Proximity, Relevance, and Prominence.
- The strongest of these factors will be Proximity. Google will nearly always show you places that are nearby on mobile or desktop.
- A service area business (SAB) is one that delivers or provides services over a specific area.
- These are commonly roofers, plumbers, HVAC and other “home services.”
- Google has historically shown a preference for physical address businesses over Service Area Businesses.
- This search preference leads to many fake listings over service areas.
How do I verify my business with Google My Business
- If a business is not verified, Google may give the business the option to start the claiming process.
- If a business has either no reviews, or reviews that have not been responded to, this is an indicator it may not be verified.
- To claim a business, you can try adding it to your Google My Business dashboard/account.
- If the business does not yet have a listing, create a new listing, and enter the relevant info.
- Once you enter the necessary information like address, operation hours, etc., GMB will give you a verification option.
- Most of the time GMB will send a postcard to verify your address.
- Once you get the postcard, enter the code into your GMB dashboard.
- After the correct code is entered, Google will review the listing before it goes live.
- If the postcard does not arrive in 10 days, you can request a second one.
- Do notuse a PO Box, UPS store, or virtual office.
- Phone verification and video verification options do exist but are much rarer.
Why is Google My Business important
- It’s important to create a business listing for EVERY physical business to help drive traffic, leads, and revenue.
- A GMB listing gives a business a highly placed listing in search results AND a great chance to build customer trust and awareness.
- Verifying a listing gives a business control over their GMB listing.